Here is my second bake of Saturday as promised, carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. Enjoy!
250g SR flour
2tsp ground cinnamon
400g caster sugar (add less if you’d like the cake less sweet)
350ml vegetable oil
350g grated carrots
120g chopped walnuts
For the frosting:
225g cream/soft cheese
450g icing sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
For the topping:
80g crushed walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/gas mark 4 and grease and line 2 23cm round cake tins.
2. In a bowl, sieve and combine flour, cinnamon and caster sugar.
3. Measure the oil into a measuring jug, add the eggs and whisk.
4. Then combine with dry ingredients, stir in the grated carrot and chopped walnuts. Divide the mixture into the 2 prepared tins.
5. Cook for 40-45 minutes or until the cake is well risen and a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool.
6. To make the icing, cream the soft cheese and margarine together. Sieve in the icing sugar and add the vanilla. Stir until most of the icing sugar isn’t visible and then using a hand mix, combine till smooth and glossy.
7. Once the cakes are cooled and out of the tin. Spread some of the icing onto one of the cakes and sandwich together. Then using the remaining icing cover the entire cake, smoothing it out using a palette knife.
8. Place the walnut pieces into a sandwich bag and using a rolling pin squash them until in fine pieces.
9. Using your hands press the walnut crumbs all around the sides of the cake and then decorate the top using the carrot decorations. The cake may need to stand in the fridge, to make sure the icing has completely set.
I hope you enjoy making your own carrot cake! 🙂