Hi everyone and welcome back to my baking blog…
So for a while now I have been toying with the idea of making an orange cake filled with marmalade and orange flavoured buttercream. So finally I did it…this cake is very light and filled with citrus flavours; from the orange rind in the cake to the orange glaze coating the cakes.
Here is the recipe…
225g soft spread
225g SR flour, sieved
100g caster suagr
100g light brown sugar (sieve to remove larger balls of sugar)
1tsp baking powder, sieved
Finely grated rind of 2 oranges
150g soft spread
300g icing sugar, sieved
Finely grated rind of 1 orange
25g caster sugar
Juice of 2 oranges
Approximately 2 tbsp of fine cut marmalade
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Grease and line 2 loose bottom 8in cake tins.
2. Measure out all the cake ingredients into a large mixing bowl and thoroughly combine using a hand mixer/ wooden spoon. Divide the cake mixture into the 2 cake tins and place into the middle of the preheated oven.
3. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
4. To make the buttercream, combine the soft spread with the icing sugar and orange rind in a large mixing bowl. Once the icing sugar has been combined, use a hand mixer until fluffy and light.
5. Once the cakes are cool, remove from the tins and discard the greaseproof paper circles.
6. To make the glaze, heat the sugar with the orange juice over a low heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and continue heating until half the glaze remains.
7.Place one cake onto a cake board and using a pastry brush, brush some of the glaze onto the cake. Then spread the marmalade over the top of the glaze. Using a palette knife, spread half the buttercream over the top, smoothing the top as you go.
8. Place the second cake on the top, having also brushed with the glaze on the bottom and then the top. Then spread the remaining buttercream over the top of the cake. Serve immediately or will keep for up to 3 days.
I hope you enjoy reading and making this delicious cake 🙂
That is it for now folks, a red velvet cake is coming to you next time!